Ordivan RPG Forums
Please login or register.
Ordivan RPG Forums
Please login or register.
Ordivan RPG Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A most EPIC Roleplaying Game!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Questions About Magic

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bookwyrmnick
Sensei
bookwyrmnick

Some Questions About Magic Empty
PostSubject: Some Questions About Magic   Some Questions About Magic I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Can I have a clear and complete explanation of how magic works and what laws there are governing it in this world? I get bits and pieces from the RPing, but my charries would already know all of it.
Back to top Go down
http://bookwyrmnick.wordpress.com
Piutebob
Level 3 Player
Piutebob

PostSubject: Re: Some Questions About Magic   Some Questions About Magic I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Magic originates with the Chang-Shouming, an ancient, mostly extinct race. They resemble the Chinese and speak the same language.

Wizards are descendants of this great race. The blood is diluted heavily because it is mixed with human blood.

The Chang-Shouming had an extra organ. This is what enabled them to use magic. Certain human descendants of the Shouming have it, too, thus there are wizards. This doesn't mean that their siblings or parents have the organ, too. (Kyle and Kenneth aren't wizards, for example).

However, human wizards need an implement specially enchanted to channel their magic. If magic is used without one, it is less potent and more likely to strain the organ. There are only two exceptions (the king and his brother; however, that is because they have such a high concentration of Chang-Shouming blood; their father was a full-blooded Shouming that came from a family known for its magical ability)

This organ can get tired (similar to muscle). Also similar to a muscle, a wizard can exercise it and make it stronger, increasing the potency of spells and their magical endurance. This organ, similar to the brain, doesn't finish developing till the early twenties.

A wizard's ability is limited by the stage of development his organ is at (I need a name for this organ...). There is only one possible exception, although it hasn't been confirmed by the scholars of magic: Godlings.

All the forms of magic are distantly related, of course, but only because of their origins. For instance, mind-bending is completely different from necromancy, illusion, or, say, elemental magic. True, it is possible for an experienced master to replicate the effects of other magics with his area (for instance, an Illusionist creating the appearance of lightning and giving it an electrifying effect). However, for most our characters (the exceptions being Filirian and Vorxpol), it is nearly impossible to do so.

Other magics will be much more difficult than the students' specialty, which is already fairly difficult for them.

On the topic of Weather Manipulation and Mind-Bending:

WM is merely an extreme form of elemental magic and Mind Bending is an extreme form of telepathy, but involves much more than simple mind-reading. A master can completely take over the minds of others and even cause others to go insane. Both of these happened to Filrian; however, as he demonstrated, these effects aren't necessarily permanent. A master wizard can overcome these effects.

In order to be considered a master, one usually needs to be very experienced and a prodigy. The youngest to do this (besides a Godling) was 24 (Filrian); however, this was only because he was forced to by dire circumstances. He says that it would have taken another few decades had he not been pushed into it by captivity to a mind-bender. Normally, mastery is achieved later in life, usually 30s or 40s.

Just a note: All Court Wizards and Academy teachers are masters.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't, let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
bookwyrmnick
Sensei
bookwyrmnick

PostSubject: Re: Some Questions About Magic   Some Questions About Magic I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:42 pm

Don't you need a licence for some magics? Like Necromancy?
Back to top Go down
http://bookwyrmnick.wordpress.com
Piutebob
Level 3 Player
Piutebob

PostSubject: Re: Some Questions About Magic   Some Questions About Magic I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes. Necromancy, mind-bending, and weather manipulation require licenses. This is to protect the non-magical community.
Back to top Go down
Piutebob
Level 3 Player
Piutebob

PostSubject: Re: Some Questions About Magic   Some Questions About Magic I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Just going to say that the rules for magic have changed a lot, but we'll keep them virtually the same for in-game purposes.
But please let's just ignore the whole organ thing. Cause it's dumb. Instead, some are born with the ability to use magic, some aren't.

I could go in depth about new (and improved) human magic and Shouming magic, but that'd make things too complicated so let's not.
For the purposes of the RP, we'll continue with those rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Questions About Magic   Some Questions About Magic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Questions About Magic
Page 1 of 1